FINAL RESULTS & Authors Revealed!

Drunk Russians, drama with vegetables, and lots of approval voting!

by Xythar » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:39 pm

#Infinity wrote:I actually thought you did Kokoru Odoru because the graphics were apparently "done by someone else", and Challenge steps were also included.

Those two things are very characteristic of Zeh's files, though :P Part of how I guessed it was him
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:27 am

At a glance, I thought Kimi no Machi Made was obviously zeh's file. But then again, it had all the general characteristics of alphabet55's simfiles as well. :|
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:40 am

I thought Kimi no Machi Made was Zeh for sure. The bg/banner reminded me of fly from ddrextreme.co.uk's rock mix.
Posting Member

by RVN-G » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Wow, it's been a week or so since I posted there, and a lot of stuff already happened while I'm offline! I didn't even realized at first that Best-Mix has ended (with a bang? No comment! :P)

Anyways, congrats to the winners, especially those on the top 4 (Chmurek (so it's not pronounced "chmoo-rek" after all, huh? :lol: LOL also to your winning sim!), Xythar, #Infinity, and Ebisumaru), and everyone who participated! Looking forward to that Winter Best-Mix or whatever it'll be called in the future. ;)

About the proposed rules, I agree on scrapping the judges, but I don't agree on the idea that entrants should be public this time (like some of the guys said earlier (especially DGJ), being in anonymity is fun, and I like the guessing-who's-who bit).

Also, BlueSS, I think it could be better if next time, the participants can enter more than one entry (I think 2-3 are enough IMO.). How about that?

Chmurek wrote:As for Vodka, I made the entire video in Adobe Premiere, using images from Google. It took about 12 hours of work to put it all together. I downscaled it to 320x240, because stepmania requires a powerful machine to play higher resolution videos smoothly.

Yeah, I've noticed that. Anything above 320x240 or anything above 30fps for the videos slows down in weaker PC's (since I've experienced that). I guess that's the problem with Raf's Inferno (unstable frame rate due to the large dimension of the video in slower PC's).
Posting Member

by TakeWalker » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:08 pm

RVN-G wrote:Also, BlueSS, I think it could be better if next time, the participants can enter more than one entry (I think 2-3 are enough IMO.). How about that?

I'd agree to this, because I like making lots of files, but... we've got DDRex.co.uk for that, honestly. Doing seven files at once for two contests was a major hassle, not that I'm saying everyone did that. Honestly, I'm happy being able to put out one highly-focused file for this contest.

Not to mention, double or triple the number of entries. It would take 4EVAR. D:
Posting Member

by Raf » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:11 pm

RVN-G wrote:Yeah, I've noticed that. Anything above 320x240 or anything above 30fps for the videos slows down in weaker PC's (since I've experienced that). I guess that's the problem with Raf's Inferno (unstable frame rate due to the large dimension of the video in slower PC's).

I've got a stock Compaq with 1 GB ram and the video plays fine for me. the 1 gig of ram is the only upgrade i've given it so that makes me wonder how old your computer is?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:54 pm

RVN-G wrote:Also, BlueSS, I think it could be better if next time, the participants can enter more than one entry (I think 2-3 are enough IMO.). How about that?

I don't think the winter BEST-mix will allow more than one, due to it being a shorter contest in a busy season; but multiple entries will probably come back in some form for the next summer one. :)
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Lilina » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:24 pm

Just some thoughts on the plans on Winter BEST-mix:

- Scrapping judges is okay if and only if there will be tighter scrutiny of public reviews. Seriously, a one-liner that doesn't support itself in any way shouldn't be accepted if there really are issues in the thing to be reviewed.

- Keep the anonymous entries. Adds a nice layer of suspense to the competition, which I believe is always a good thing.
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:09 pm

I wonder how difficut it was to guess my entry?
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:43 pm

I would get rid of the 640x480 restriction since it's unnecessary.
Posting Member

by SirWickedFoot » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Hey hellrazor :) Hey everyone. Great work!

by Hainaut » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:29 pm

Oni-91 wrote:I wonder how difficut it was to guess my entry?

I was honestly quite shocked that you were the author behind Symbolic, as it was a massive step ahead of your Cheesemix 4 entries. Some of your placement was flawed, but overall I thought you did a pretty good job with your steps. I actually guessed that you were the author of I've Got A Jar Of Dirt, while Uiru was behind Amatsu Boss.
Posting Member

by Dark Luke » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:17 am

Hmm... only 1 guy seem to have guessed my entry (Infinity)
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:25 am

#Infinity wrote:
Oni-91 wrote:I wonder how difficut it was to guess my entry?

I was honestly quite shocked that you were the author behind Symbolic, as it was a massive step ahead of your Cheesemix 4 entries. Some of your placement was flawed, but overall I thought you did a pretty good job with your steps. I actually guessed that you were the author of I've Got A Jar Of Dirt, while Uiru was behind Amatsu Boss.

Thanks! The CM4 Disaster (tm) was pretty much about the song selection. I will never ever step Monty Python stuff again! Honest. Still, now you've got to suffer my next contest song, then my entire Rennaissance Project! Ha!
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:43 pm

Dark Luke wrote:People seem to hate crossovers and advanced turns.

I wasn't going to reply to this, but then I realized that you do seem to use big turns and crossovers in just about almost every file, without really noticing it? As in, maybe people see them as more physically exerting (and thereby more complicated) than you do. I don't know. I liked Danzai anyway, ignoring length and intensity issues.
Posting Member

Previous