FINAL RESULTS & Authors Revealed!

Drunk Russians, drama with vegetables, and lots of approval voting!

by Hainaut » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:41 pm

I liked it too, although I found it to be impossible to guess everything correctly, as I'm not familiar with everyone who entered and can't really define the styles of most authors outside of DDRExtreme.co.uk. My secret guesses were way off.
Posting Member

Re: FINAL RESULTS & Authors Revealed!

by Juub005 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Jezendar wrote:I had thought Frontal Impact was lrxevan's entry as well. So now I'm curious. #Infinity, did you actually try to disguise your work as lrxevan's, or is this just a coincidence?

You haven't been paying attention to #infinity's files. It was pretty obvious, especially with ditz not in the contest (see infinity's cdtitle)
Posting Member

Re: FINAL RESULTS & Authors Revealed!

by TakeWalker » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:42 am

Juub005 wrote:
Jezendar wrote:I had thought Frontal Impact was lrxevan's entry as well. So now I'm curious. #Infinity, did you actually try to disguise your work as lrxevan's, or is this just a coincidence?

You haven't been paying attention to #infinity's files. It was pretty obvious, especially with ditz not in the contest (see infinity's cdtitle)

qft

While I don't know that I'd be able to pick lrxevan's style out of a crowd, Frontal Impact just screamed #Infinity.
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:19 am

Well, it's possible to guess FRONTAL IMPACT as lrxevan's entry, as its style was heavily inspired by his own style, but had you paid more attention to lrxevan's signature at DDRExtreme.co.uk, TKO would've been even more obvious than my entry (he used the exact same DJ*U*HEY logo in a banner for a currently unreleased simfile).
Posting Member

by GimmeTOKYO » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:10 am

Congrats to all that entered.

And I'm surprised nobody guessed I had done "Ne~e?" :P

To dispurse any rumors, I didn't take the cut of the song from Xythar, I made it myself more than two years ago, I just now had a tournament to put the song in. To be honest, I had no idea Xythar had it in a simfile tourney ;P To be honest, it's a pretty straightforward cut.

Regardless, I digress.

Congrats to all the winners, I'm VERY glad VODKA one XD
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:28 am

GimmeTOKYO wrote:And I'm surprised nobody guessed I had done "Ne~e?" :P

That file isn't easy to guess because Xythar did the original graphics, so there's no obvious identification, although I thought Ne~e? was by someone regularly present on the DDRExtreme.co.uk boards, which is why I'm even more surprised that it was by you. To be honest, I thought TakeWalker did Ne~e? because he already borrowed Xythar's graphics from Coco Jamboo for Coconut.
Posting Member

by lrxevan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Prior to BEST-mix I was having a hard time deciding what to enter. It was a toss-up between in my heart and TKO, and at the last second, I decided to enter in my heart to Cheesemix 4. That meant that TKO should go to BEST-mix, and though I didn't believe it would do very well (I was right), I'm glad I entered it. I stand by the decisions I made in TKO (and the graphics, they're some of my personal favorites to date). I wanted to show people that I could do something different, even if it wasn't the most popular file in the competition.
This special title makes me look cool.

by Hainaut » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:28 pm

That's cool, it was still one of my personal favorites in the contest (despite my original rating of 8.5; it grew on me overtime)! And I agree that your graphics looked awesome as well (again, these grew on me; I'm able to appreciate the shadedness they brought to the table), even though nothing's going to top 21st Century Digital Girl in that category.
Posting Member

by Xythar » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:04 pm

GimmeTOKYO wrote:Congrats to all that entered.

And I'm surprised nobody guessed I had done "Ne~e?" :P

To dispurse any rumors, I didn't take the cut of the song from Xythar, I made it myself more than two years ago, I just now had a tournament to put the song in. To be honest, I had no idea Xythar had it in a simfile tourney ;P To be honest, it's a pretty straightforward cut.

Regardless, I digress.

Congrats to all the winners, I'm VERY glad VODKA one XD

Yeah, I figured it was probably just coincidence. I think we guessed it was you in chat but I'm not sure if that part ever got posted.

edit: Obviously I didn't want to post this during the comp, but if anyone didn't play Cheesemix 4 but wants to try my Ne~e file, it's here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UWLEQP4S

Not on Bemanistyle yet because I have to downsample the video and stuff (effort -_-)
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:56 am

Dark Luke wrote:People seem to hate crossovers and advanced turns.
ImageImageImage

That isn't the problem. Its adding in crossovers, turns, and stuff that don't fit with the song and just placing them in without thinking it through.

I play PIU, and if you have played it you should know that it is filled with so many ugly turns and crossovers. The reason they are ugly is because they are hard. 16th note drills with a spin at the same time on two mats is a challenge, but hey, the song that happens on is called Turn Around, and that literally makes you turn around.
-Makes sense with the song? Check.
-Is on to the beat of the song? Check.
-Is a bit challenging to do but also fun? Check.

Hey, I'm all for crossovers and spins. Just that they need to make sense and be reasonably fun, something I couldn't see with many of the sims here.
Posting Member

by alphabet55 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:10 am

So, #Infinity, are you going to post the full version of FRONTAL IMPACT or what? :P
Posting Member

by Spork! » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:17 am

I'm actually quite surprised at the results.

Vodka I'm not surprised though, I played it several times over the course of the contest, moreso than almost anything.

How did no one guess that I did My Selene though, is the question :-S (also, in the reviews, WHAT double steps? xD)
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:06 am

Spork! wrote:How did no one guess that I did My Selene though, is the question :-S (also, in the reviews, WHAT double steps? xD)

The graphics weren't at all reminding to me of the simplicity of We Two Are One, Banjo Thing!, or Best Friend. I actually thought you did Kokoru Odoru because the graphics were apparently "done by someone else", and Challenge steps were also included.
Last edited by Hainaut on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by Chmurek » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:28 am

I guess it's high time for me to write something here ^_^". Sorry for being so late, but I've been away for the whole week.

First of all, I need to give my thanks to many people:
BlueSS - For spending his time to host this nice contest.
Cheeseman - For helping me with graphics, and for the outstaning "Zuppa Romana" simfile which inspired me to create "Vodka" :)
the_Ditz, tovus, and the rest of DDREx staff - For hosting all of their simfile contests. The amount of quality entries there really helped me improve.
Lisek - For being an awesome simfile creator overall.
#Infinity - For his loads of Eurobeat simfiles, and for being the only one person who liked my Cyberella in CM4 xD. (I also loved your Jankenpyon!)

will-i-am wrote:Congrats to Chmurek (whoever you are...)

Well, I'm not the_Ditz's alias. :P I'm actually a real person, from polish Stepmania community who addictively plays ITG and other rythm games. In case you wonder, the nickname is pronounced [ha - moo - rack] (Polish is a difficult language...)

Xythar wrote:He entered "I Am Cyberella" in Cheesemix 4 (and 1001 Arabian Nights I think...?)

That is correct. I'm quite satisfied with the steps, both of them suffer from poor graphics though (I'm still discovering Photoshop). My earlier works are not much of quality.

hellrazor wrote:Where in the world can I get more simfiles by Chmurek???

I'm planning to launch a website where I'll publish all of my works, I'll keep you updated. Also, I'm definitely going to participate in further simfile contests, probably even in the upcoming nDDRo contest. The bar is set very high nowadays. :)

As for Vodka, I made the entire video in Adobe Premiere, using images from Google. It took about 12 hours of work to put it all together. I downscaled it to 320x240, because stepmania requies a powerful machine to play higher resolution videos smoothly. If you like, you can get the 640x480 version here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/25265598/6d ... dkaHQ.html
And the full MP3 is available here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/25266054/dc ... Vodka.html

Once again, thanks everyone for this wonderful contest, it was a lot of fun. See you again in BEST-mix #2.
Posting Member

by TakeWalker » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:04 pm

Chmurek wrote:Cheeseman - For helping me with graphics, and for the outstaning "Zuppa Romana" simfile which inspired me to create "Vodka" :)

See? SEE?

And thank you, Chmurek, for giving us such a fun damn file to play. :D
Posting Member

PreviousNext