Bracket 2 - Discussion

Drunk Russians, drama with vegetables, and lots of approval voting!

by alphabet55 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:08 pm

Are the quality of files lower, or are the judges standards higher? I haven't gotten to play bracket 2 yet, so I don't know. :oops:
Posting Member

by Zounder » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:17 pm

I havent even played B1 due to time constraints but I had time to chat review B2 for a bit, and I must say the quality was indeed pretty low. I've played most of the files and my favorites are Lady Chopper and Darling, with some other files being solid like the nobodyknows+ file, Onna Ni and Frontal Impact. Other than that though I wasn't very inspired.
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:19 pm

I also liked Darling. That was a pretty fun one. Frontal Impact was pretty good, and I liked Why Did You Go Away's doubles steps.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:58 pm

I won't be able to chat review; too busy, and roommate considerations. My keyboard's loud.
Posting Member

by Aki » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:11 pm

Ninevolt wrote:
Amatsu Boss

For all those who whine about doublestepping, you can complain at this one.

Double stepping is good, but not this one. :/

Btw, instead of staying up for too late, Caravan of Love caused me to sleep for 15 hours :evil:
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:20 am

I found Caravan of Love intriguing. I thought it was interesting seeing someone step an acacpella song.
Posting Member

by Wellian » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:18 am

Akira wrote:Btw, instead of staying up for too late, Caravan of Love caused me to sleep for 15 hours :evil:

I've had a stressful and tiring day at work, so I am definitely going to try this out when I get in. :)
Posting Member

by Lilina » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:15 pm

Super_Ray wrote:I found Caravan of Love intriguing. I thought it was interesting seeing someone step an acacpella song.

Not that interesting anymore, actually, if you placed the a capella remixes of DDR songs in the Japanese fanmixes.
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 pm

I forgot about that silly DXY! acapella mix! Still, I found Caravan of Love intriguing. I haven't played too many files from Japanese fan mixes. One that I do recall was a song called "sack" and it was a parody of bag that ran at 35 bpm! Sadly, I lost it when my hard drive recently crashed, but I may have it on a disc somewhere...
Posting Member

by Aki » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:11 am

kutimu's acapella songs are FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR more energetic than caravan of love

and yes, I also stepped an acapella song before remember?
Posting Member

by Wellian » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:54 am

Akira wrote:kutimu's acapella songs are FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR more energetic than caravan of love

But that's surely analogous to stating that just about any techno song is more energetic than any ballad?

Besides, if I'm thinking of what you're thinking I wouldn't classify kutimu's stuff as a cappella at all, but rather vocal percussion, which I would personally say is a completely different of fish. The sounds used in vocal percussion are to directly replace the use of instruments, whereas a capella is intended to be without musical accompaniment. Therefore any a capella simfile would only be able to call upon the lead vocalist and any accompanying harmonies, while vocal percussion simfiles would have a "substantial advantage" in that although they still do not have instruments as such the background vocal performance will be able to provide melodies for consideration which would not be present in any a capella song. I can't belive I'm posting about music with the implication I know what the hell I'm talking about...

In other news, I'm confused for other reasons - some of the ridiculous feedback I've seen in presentation in regards to banners and backgrounds. I thought I was entering a simfile competition, not an art competition. I wouldn't have bothered entering if it was the latter, I can't even make a straight line look pretty.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:03 am

Well, a simfile is more than just a stepchart. It's also more than just art, which is the point of the presentation bit, but artwork does count for *something*.
Posting Member

by Raf » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:28 am

If your artwork isn't great, well who's fault is that? Those points are designated for a reason. To push you to make your creations better in every way so the community can have higher quality files. If artwork didn't matter at all there would be no point in even including graphics because no points would be deducted.

I've been pretty fair with those points.
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:34 am

Akira wrote:kutimu's acapella songs are FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR more energetic than caravan of love

and yes, I also stepped an acapella song before remember?

I can't remember, actually :( Was it from a contest or was it an individual release? I'd like to check it out! :D
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:14 am

Super_Ray wrote:I forgot about that silly DXY! acapella mix! Still, I found Caravan of Love intriguing. I haven't played too many files from Japanese fan mixes. One that I do recall was a song called "sack" and it was a parody of bag that ran at 35 bpm! Sadly, I lost it when my hard drive recently crashed, but I may have it on a disc somewhere...

That's on a Hopscotch Mix by Family Farce, I believe.
Posting Member

PreviousNext