List of Songs Entered

Drunk Russians, drama with vegetables, and lots of approval voting!

by DGJ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:46 am

Wellian wrote:And so having people who are actually brave enough to try something different instead of pedalling out the same generic charts to the same generic genres file after file is a bad thing?

bravo, fight on brave warriors, save us from songs that are well-suited for a dancing game!!!
Image Image
Posting Member

by Wellian » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:10 am

lrxevan wrote:
Wellian wrote:
lrxevan wrote:You might also choose to return to DDRExtreme.co.uk where lower quality files win the most public votes simply because they are different and not necessarily because they're better.

And so having people who are actually brave enough to try something different instead of pedalling out the same generic charts to the same generic genres file after file is a bad thing?

Please don't misinterpret my statement. It's great to try new genres, and new step patterns, but we often run into a situation where people vote for lower quality files that are of a different genre to spite those who prefer to step more popular-type songs, even if they're not as good.

Put like that, your initial idea does make more sense to me. But from where I sit, I've found that the opposite is true, that the more common music genres are the ones which vacuum the votes just because of what genre they are rather than what the file does. There are plenty of other "cheap" ways of securing votes for non-step reasons, but music choice is the one I notice the most.

I'd rather vote for a mediocre file that does something different than a mediocre file that does nothing new; likewise something excellent that is also new is more likely to sway me is going to get more credit off me than an excellent file that is in a more common style. However, give me a good file that is completely different and great file that is something "common", and I'm going to go with the masses.

I do agree with you, though, that any judge who disproportionately weighs song choice should be stabbed with a rusty foon - whether it's over- or under-weighting a genre. However, my underlying argument, that "popular" genres will always have at least a subconscious advantage in all of these competitions, remains.

BlueSS wrote:I think you guys are arguing over something that won't matter. :P

I'm telling you now, black is white and zebras are a figment of your imagination.
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:36 pm

lrxevan wrote:You might also choose to return to DDRExtreme.co.uk where lower quality files win the most public votes simply because they are different and not necessarily because they're better.

I agree with you so much about this statement. I generally enjoy DDRExtreme.co.uk competitions, but I'm usually disappointed by their results.
Posting Member

by Sakura_Guy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:25 pm

lol everyone completely misinterperted me. what i meant was that as usual there was a bunch of j-pop, dancemania, and bemani. i'm not saying i have problem with it or anything. all i was saying is that i expected some j-pop dancemania and bemani sims
Finally finished some sims.
Get Them Here!
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:31 pm

Yay!!! Forum arguements before the competition has even started! :D I think this tournament is going off to a great start! ... Even though it hasn't even started yet :? (which I stated twice, but it's always good to emphasize when it comes to matters like this).
Posting Member

by alphabet55 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:59 pm

Heh, I think this whole discussion sounds like a news story. "You misinterpreted my statement" and "That's not what I meant" are everywhere. Not that I'm annoyed with it or anything.

With that being said, I think the reason dance/pop/bemani songs tend to do better is because they are fun to dance to. I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd ever be able to enjoy a smooth jazz simfile. Don't get worried, though, I don't plan on judging anything. I know I'm biased. 8)
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:04 pm

You can always find "unique" selections under the categories of Bemani, Dancemania, and J-Pop (eurobeat to an extent, but sadly, almost nobody has shown any interest to step a eurobeat simfile for this competition; screw the "generic" bias people have against it).
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:24 pm

DGJ wrote:bravo, fight on brave warriors, save us from songs that are well-suited for a dancing game!!!

QFT, I'm so sick of songs that are well-suited for a dancing game, originality and creativity are underappreciated. And I disagree, it seems to me that ddrextreme.co.uk competitions are won by generic dance songs, with the biggest shocker being Dark Luke's Doom song that was absolutely creative and deserving. Just look at how well Rage* does in competitions, and all he has is pretty graphics and a very popular song, stricken by some of the most uncreative and bad steps.

But then again many of your opinions of different and my opinion of different are different. And it's not that I try to be different, I just pick songs that I know and like rather than songs that have been around the machine dance crowds. It'll be interesting to see if song choice is not heavily factored, I have serious doubts but we'll see, it's a great idea if it works.
Posting Member

by DGJ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:46 pm

i was being sarcastic when i said that
Image Image
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:06 pm

DGJ wrote:i was being sarcastic when i said that

I know, but I wasn't. Your whole nDDRo crew seem to love songs without passion.
Posting Member

by DGJ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:18 pm

hellrazor wrote:Your whole nDDRo crew seem to love songs without passion.

lol wut
Image Image
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:31 pm

Well other than Juub and Shoh, but it's not to say generic dance stuff isn't good.
Posting Member

by ranatalus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:37 pm

hellrazor wrote:Well other than Juub and Shoh, but it's not to say generic dance stuff isn't good.

have you played ddr before
Posting Member

by DGJ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:42 pm

konami are cowards who wish to appeal to the masses with their passionless music *sips glass of wine* now to play these fine cheesemix files
Image Image
Posting Member

by Lilina » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:48 pm

will-i-am wrote:Yay!!! Forum arguements before the competition has even started! :D I think this tournament is going off to a great start! ... Even though it hasn't even started yet :? (which I stated twice, but it's always good to emphasize when it comes to matters like this).

I can already see the drama when judging results and public votes come in... <fires up word processor and starts writing... something> Anyway, it is a pretty good selection of songs... although a little more diversity wouldn't hurt.

Whoever made the sim for NB Rangers: Returns better have the video for it.
Posting Member

PreviousNext