"Guess the Authors and win $$" Contest (UPDATED!)

Drunk Russians, drama with vegetables, and lots of approval voting!

"Guess the Authors and win $$" Contest (UPDATED!)

by Spork! » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:20 pm

OK. Me and BLueSS have been talking, and I am throwing some money down on this one.

Simply put, once the sims are released, This will be a thread for you to tell the world about who you think made what sim and for what reason.

The CATCH is you may NOT change your guesses. Once they are posted, it is your final guess.

There will also be a set format for how you may guess, so that it will be easier for BLueSS and I to determine the winner.

Anyways, there will be 3 places. The winner will be the individual who can correctly guess the most people who made what sim.
Each place will recieve a different value of money per correct guess.
1st - $1.00 per guess to a max of $10.00
2nd - $0.50 per guess to a max of $5.00
3rd - $0.25 per guess to a max of $2.50
Ties will be resolved in that whoever posted first will win.

I will be paying the amounts owed to the winners VIA PAYPAL after the contest is over.
The contest will last for Until the end of the second bracket, so you have until the end of the second bracket to make your guesses! I will NOT accept any guesses made during the wildcard/public vote rounds.
Also, I have no idea who made what, so BLueSS will be the only one who knows if you are correct or not.

UPDATED!
TO ENTER: Please refer to THIS POST

Good luck, and have fun!
Posting Member

by Xythar » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:51 pm

If we have a list of everyone who entered, and we have a guess for every file, does that mean we have to purposefully guess ourselves as one of them (but not the one we did)? That starts to get confusing.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:16 am

Xythar wrote:If we have a list of everyone who entered, and we have a guess for every file, does that mean we have to purposefully guess ourselves as one of them (but not the one we did)? That starts to get confusing.

Yes, it's the best way we came up with for allowing entrants to guess.
If everyone guessed their own file, we'd quickly have the list of who did what. If they guess every file but one, then it's confirmation by omission; so the best was to make them vote wrong for their file.

So if you entered, you must guess that SOMEONE ELSE did your file.

It shouldn't make a difference because trying to guess all of these will be hard. I'll be shocked to see anyone get over 40% of the predictions right.
Site Admin

by hellrazor » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:03 am

BLueSS wrote:
Xythar wrote:If we have a list of everyone who entered, and we have a guess for every file, does that mean we have to purposefully guess ourselves as one of them (but not the one we did)? That starts to get confusing.

If everyone guessed their own file, we'd quickly have the list of who did what. If they guess every file but one, then it's confirmation by omission; so the best was to make them vote wrong for their file.

It shouldn't make a difference because trying to guess all of these will be hard. I'll be shocked to see anyone get over 40% of the predictions right.

I'd also add that for the files that you know for sure (because you helped the author create it and not because it's blatantly obvious) that you purposely guess that file incorrectly as well. This was permitted to be used sparringly so it shouldn't account for too much.
Posting Member

by vjgyo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:44 pm

If you have to guess your file under someone elses name, you could put the correct author of a different file under your name (duh.) I guess what I'm saying is doing this lowers the chances of you guessing correctly.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:59 pm

vjgyo wrote:If you have to guess your file under someone elses name, you could put the correct author of a different file under your name (duh.) I guess what I'm saying is doing this lowers the chances of you guessing correctly.

Yes, so you will miss one more, no matter what if you entered the competition. But still, use a guess you aren't sure of at all for that, so you still have a higher chance of getting the rest right.
Site Admin

by Xythar » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:07 pm

BLueSS wrote:

That's what I mean, but assuming a guess for every file then if I guess someone else did my file logically I have to then guess I did their file. And guessing a file as being mine is kinda strange.
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:36 am

Entrants don't have to miss an additional file, just swap the author they "guessed" as the author of their file, and the file they "guess" themselves as making, when tallying the number of correct guesses.

I mean, it's obvious they don't actually think this is the case, right?
Posting Member

by mintessence » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:56 pm

wouldn't making the guesses private eliminate all the hassle?
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:25 pm

I can generally identify simfile authors pretty easily, but I'm unfamiliar with about half of the competing authors here, so I can't really guess everything unless I can find anything from them on Bemanistyle (if they even upload their simfiles there).
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:30 pm

mintessence wrote:wouldn't making the guesses private eliminate all the hassle?

Yes, although it was originally going to be public to make it more interesting.

I'm just thinking if it's made private there will be no talk about who did what file because everyone will want to keep their suspicions to themselves so they could win the $$$.
Site Admin

by nejino_hito » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:34 pm

so... when this will start?
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:41 pm

nejino_hito wrote:so... when this will start?

It has begun, feel free to list a guess for each file on the list, good luck guessing though since simfiles aren't even released, but go ahead you have 1 shot so make sure you guess for each file, and there will be no going back to edit your guesses.
Posting Member

by Jezendar » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:09 pm

Here's another idea for disguising your own song when you make your guesses: There's nothing in the rules stating you can't peg multiple songs on the same person. Thus, you can, for example, state that Hellrazor did the song you think he actually did, and that Hellrazor did your song. Of course, if you only do this with one pair of songs, then people will realize that one of those songs is yours. But, I find it extremely unlikely that any of us will be able to make good guesses on every file, which means you can further disguise your guesses by pairing up songs that you have no clue on.
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:05 pm

B1 - She Blinded Me With Science = Titiln
Posting Member

Next