- Final Rules w/Judging Information-

Drunk Russians, drama with vegetables, and lots of approval voting!

by Ren » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:21 am

Please don't take this as a rant as I'll follow the rules nevertheless.

My problem is that I don't see any reason why we can't simply submit a .DWI instead of an .SM. I guess I'm old school like that, but DWI is the original simfile format and I strictly make my files using notepad saved as .DWI.

Is there any way that we can just submit .DWI instead?

Thanks. =]
"I'm gonna do you."

-Ren

www.ValetInLA.com

by Skorpion9x » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:24 am

REN?????? Holy shit!

I agree with Ren that DWI only should be allowed since SM fully supports the DWI format anyway.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:50 am

Skorpion9x wrote:Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a deadline for file registration. I may consider changing my file because I'm having some issues with the one I originally chose.

You can change it all the way through the 19th. Early registration just guarantees that no one else can take your song.

Ren wrote:Is there any way that we can just submit .DWI instead?

I see no problem with that at all. Go right ahead.

The rules are edited so that whatever simfile is in the folder - and loaded by Stepmania - that's the one who's steps will be judged.
Site Admin

by alphabet55 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:30 am

I'm new to .ogg files. I just saved it as a variable bitrate, and it sounds great (just like the 192kbps .mp3), but I'm not sure it's actually 128kbps. On top of that, do variable bitrate .oggs work for everyone, or should I change it to a constant bitrate?

...Just trying to make sure I don't get DQ'ed.
Posting Member

by Valex » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:37 am

Holy shit we've got a lot of old legends here

Question: If we make an edit difficulty, will it be judged? I might make an ITG style/keyboard edit but obviously if it's judged by DDR requirements it'll totally ruin me
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:35 am

Just make your Edit steps and include them in a bonus.txt file or something like that, then they won't be judged but will be available if someone wants to copy/paste.

As for me, I'm totally DQ'd by the 640x480 rule, I have way too many BG images at 320x240, and if I go through and stretch them all it will cause my SM to lag during the song, plus it will put me past the 15 MB point, AND with this many BG images it would take forever. So I'll PM you my DQ, but don't worry the prize $ is still promised.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:49 pm

alphabet55 wrote:I'm new to .ogg files. I just saved it as a variable bitrate, and it sounds great (just like the 192kbps .mp3), but I'm not sure it's actually 128kbps. On top of that, do variable bitrate .oggs work for everyone, or should I change it to a constant bitrate?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter in Stepmania if the bitrate is constant or not (if I'm wrong someone speak up). 128 ogg variable will be just fine. The main thing is if it's mp3, it must be 128 or above, otherwise it will sound like crap. :P As long as it sounds good, no one will care what it is.

Valex wrote:Question: If we make an edit difficulty, will it be judged? I might make an ITG style/keyboard edit but obviously if it's judged by DDR requirements it'll totally ruin me

Edits are not judged, at all - but definitely impress people in terms of "overall file/time put into it."
So you can go ahead and include the edit files in your main file, along with the others; and no, they will not be judged at all. People shouldn't judge them in the Public Reviews also, just treat them as extras.

hellrazor wrote:As for me, I'm totally DQ'd by the 640x480 rule, I have way too many BG images at 320x240, and if I go through and stretch them all it will cause my SM to lag during the song, plus it will put me past the 15 MB point, AND with this many BG images it would take forever. So I'll PM you my DQ, but don't worry the prize $ is still promised.

(I got and replied to your pm, addressing a few of the things above specifically - hoped I explained a few things?)

Anyway - clarification for everyone.

The only file that needs to be 640x480 is the MAIN BACKGROUND image. Animations are EXCLUDED.
BG = Background Image
BG Animations/ani/movie = The animations, excluding the one background image.

Having to convert all your animations would make for a rediculous rule. :P You can leave all of those just the way they are. And as far as I know (again, please say if I'm wrong so I can fix it) converting the first background image at 640x480 will not affect the rest of the animations or cause them to break.

If you have animations the whole time, just make a 640x480 Background Image like every DDR and ITG song has, and either display it for a second or not at all - your choice, it just needs to be there for people who turn off animations and videos.
Site Admin

by hellrazor » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:05 am

So, if I make the first image (a pure black image) 640x480 then somehow I'm compliant? It's not BGAnimations just BGChanges.
Posting Member

by alphabet55 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:31 am

I think the background image needs to have at least the song name on it. Also, a black image might not be seen as too artistic. You know, if one of the judges decides that he hates animations and stuff.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:31 am

hellrazor wrote:So, if I make the first image (a pure black image) 640x480 then somehow I'm compliant? It's not BGAnimations just BGChanges.

BGAnimations = the same thing as BGChanges.
- Background
-PNG
-640x480 px, or higher multiple
-Song Title required, Artist optional.

The BG is usually the "first image" - unless again the animations are turned off; then it's there the whole time.
The specific "first image" that is the background image (and the only one with this size restriction) is the
#BACKGROUND:Filename.png; in the .SM file
or the
boomerang-bg.png by DWI's format.

And like alphabet55 said, you'll at least need the song title on it.
Site Admin

by k//eternal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:24 pm

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I threw a file in one of these, but I figured I might as well :P
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Ren AND k//eternal??? This really is a BEST-mix.
Posting Member

by D2RCR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:19 pm

I'm here and registered. I like these rules, so it should be fun. :D

I just need to finish my entry. >_>
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:56 pm

Haha, well, I need to START mine, I wasn't aware of the existence of this thing until a couple days ago. But no worries there, it'll be ready in time, easily ^_^;;
Posting Member

by nejino_hito » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi. i'm here too, to join the competition. looks interesting :)
Posting Member

PreviousNext