- Final Rules w/Judging Information-

Drunk Russians, drama with vegetables, and lots of approval voting!

by Zounder » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:20 am

How many contests have you guys entered in the past, out of curiosity?

Hmm...

TM5- My Oh My
TM5 Addition- J219
TM5+- Affirmation
TM6- Heaven is a Place on Earth (Speedo Mix)

OSC3- Grand Prix
OSC3+- Triforce Majeure
OSC4- Over Drive
OSC5- Wild Thing

TKOIFT- Ooh Aah... (Just a Little Bit)
DGJ Invitional- Wham Bam Boogie

(Just listing judged entries for these)
DDRex TV and Movie Theme mix- Kesenai Tsumi
DDRex Cheesemix 2- Don't Let Go
DDRex World Tour- A 20 Ans
DDRex Cheesemix 3- Be As
DDRex 90s Mix- Omobolasire
DDRex Late Night Love- In Your Eyes, Je T'adore
DDRex Rock Out- Madhouse
DDRex Cheesemix 4- ???
Last edited by Zounder on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:29 am

Zounder wrote:TM5- My Oh My

My son loves that file with the pirates in it, here's your file with music video, and I'll include Sailor Song since those two go together like milk and cookies.

http://download.yousendit.com/5DEEBBBA1760B79F
http://download.yousendit.com/8DC5AA1D5C39A06E
Posting Member

by alphabet55 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:35 am

Yeah, my mother loves 'Wild Thing'. Zounder, it seems your appeal crosses all demographic boundaries. Soon, every advertising agency in the country (the world?) will be knocking on you door.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:04 pm

Zounder is obviously a psychotic brainwashing simfile artist.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:00 pm

will-i-am wrote:Zounder is obviously a psychotic brainwashing simfile artist.

*They're on to me...*

>_>

But in all seriousness, I'm glad people of all kinds are enjoying my files. I hope I do not disappoint in this contest!
Posting Member

Re: - Final Rules w/Judging Information-

by sanchny » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:46 am

BLueSS wrote:Part 2: Presentation (new) = max of 20 points
Ever see a good file get docked for stuff like an author's inability to be freaking amazing at graphics, or that they don't have pro audio cutting skills, even though the file rocks? Well, now there will be no more stupid point deductions.

To Illustrate the point:
Ex 1: A well-polished simfile by someone with experience gets a full score because it's on-sync, has excellent graphics, superb steps, and is a great song for DDR. It does not have any extras aside from a cd-title.

Ex 2: A simfile by another artist who isn't good at graphics deserves a full score because the animated graphics make up for the okay regular ones, as well an an additional chart or doubles, or something else.

A perfect score of 20 should NOT be compared to "Well, if I was making a file I would have done this, so they should have also." Instead, it should be, "This is either a very good, basic simfile, or a very complete simfile that may have a few flaws where the author is unable to be great at, but the time and effort put into the other parts makes up for it.

Why is presentation worth so much? a) People don't get it. b) 40% of a file on presentation alone is too much. People already tend to like files with better presentation more, so a file that's well-presented already has an (unfair) advantage.
Posting Member

by Raf » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:49 pm

that rule kind of confuses me a little. Presentation counts for graphics and cut right? If the file "rocks" already, that is the STEPS part. Steps should not dominate both aspects of the score. The whole point of having two separate aspects to get a score from are there to push the author to create a better file as a whole.

If the author simply cannot create decent graphics for their file, they need to seek the aid of someone who can. Presentation should not be overlooked just because the simfile is the best file you've ever played. It's the complete package that counts.

Think of it this way. If you order a cheeseburger from mcdonald's. would you like it served the normal way or chopped up in a blender? Either way it's still a full cheeseburger. One is just more appealing to look at and can't be consumed through a straw. How nasty would that be to drink a cheeseburger with a cup and straw???
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:01 pm

sanchny wrote:Why is presentation worth so much? a) People don't get it. b) 40% of a file on presentation alone is too much. People already tend to like files with better presentation more, so a file that's well-presented already has an (unfair) advantage.

Presentation should be a simple base score given to files that are well put together. They *should* be easy points to get, making the difference in files the scores they receive from the step ratings. Files cannot excel past another file based on presentation, if they both look reasonably well.

I'm not sure what you mean by "people don't get it."
They don't get the points? Then they were either lazy or didn't want to put effort into making it look good.

Again, it isn't an unfair advantage - it's only there to "deduct points" from those who don't put a well rounded effort into the files.
Again, if the author spend time on their entry, they should either have good graphics or enough other additions to make up for bad graphics. All the files then are able to receive the full 20 points, if the author is willing to make their file good. If they aren't, then they deserve to lose a few points.

The problem is people don't seem to be getting the difference in the way it's judged this time.

Raf wrote:Think of it this way. If you order a cheeseburger from mcdonald's. would you like it served the normal way or chopped up in a blender? Either way it's still a full cheeseburger. One is just more appealing to look at and can't be consumed through a straw. How nasty would that be to drink a cheeseburger with a cup and straw???

Great analogy. :lol:
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by sanchny » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:33 pm

BLueSS wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "people don't get it."

You said it yourself:
BLueSS wrote:The problem is people don't seem to be getting the difference in the way it's judged this time.

I understand how it works and that it's not an unfair advantage, but it becomes one when people interpret "presentation" as "extras".
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:29 pm

Raf wrote:Think of it this way. If you order a cheeseburger from mcdonald's. would you like it served the normal way or chopped up in a blender? Either way it's still a full cheeseburger. One is just more appealing to look at and can't be consumed through a straw. How nasty would that be to drink a cheeseburger with a cup and straw???

Cheeseburger shake? Hmmm...

*SCENE 2,927,880,314*

(Ronald McDonald and Hamburgler are eating lunch at their local McDonald's in McD World)

Ronald: Hey, Hamburgler!

Hamburgler: (Talks with cheeseburger in mouth while chunks fly out at Ronald) Myahm Rorald?

Ronald: (Wipes chunks off shirt) Man why do you always do that?

Hamburgler: (Swallows) Sorry.

Ronald: (Sighs) Anyways, your hamburgers are starting to bore me.

Hamburgler: Uh... I'm sorry, WHAT?!

Ronald: I said, YOUR HAMBURGERS ARE STARTING TO BO...

(The pink bird chick snatches Ronalds cheeseburger and thows it in the blender)

Ronald: (Gasps) NOW LOOK WHAT YOU DID!

Hamburgler: What? I didn't do nothing!

Ronald: You made me unprotect my food from that hungry vulture! Now my lunch is in that blender! Well, it's not like I was going to finish that junk anyway. Wait... why do we even own a blender in McDonald's when we don't even make our own food?

(Ronald and Hamburgler sit in silence for a few seconds)

Hamburgler: Well, because McDonald's started as a shake restaurant. And don't tell the kids that we don't make our own food, but instead our food comes from processed animal fats mixed with the small amount of plastic you find in an M&M.

Ronald: Oh, processed fat is NOT good for our reputation... Now, where were we? ... Oh right. Now my lunch is in that blender! Well, it's not like I was going to finish that junk anyway.

Hamburgler: Why I outta' blend you up!

Ronald: Alright, blend me bottom's up!

Hamburgler: Oh, well that's not going to be too difficult considering your bottom's already up above your face!

Obese Children: OOOOOOOOOOH, DISSSSS!

Ronald: SHUT YOUR PIE HOLES AND START EATING!!!

(Ronald brings out gallons of ice cream, which really comes from the sugary fat of the animal fats used in cheeseburgers, for the little, yet HUGH children)

Obese Children: YAAAAAAAY!!!

(Obese Children finish gallons of ice cream in minutes and line up for the bathrooms that have rust on the toilet seats)

Hamburgler: Hey, what's 1 + 1?

Ronald: (Sarcastically) Uhhh... 2?!

Hamburgler: No, DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER! HYAHHHH!!!

(Hamburgler lunges on Ronald. They continue for 2 hours at a fierce slap fight until Hamburgler switches on the blender)

Ronald: NOOOOOOOOO, MY SAMWITCH!!!!!!!!

Hamburgler: HaHaHaHaHa, Ha, Ha... HA! ... ... HAHA!

Ronald: Are you done yet?

Hamburgler: Yah.

Ronald: Ok then... Now eat my blended burger through a staw! MUHAHAHAHAHAH! YOU SHALL EAT YOUR TRADEMARK HAMBURGER IN SHAME! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

(Awkward silence)

Hamburgler: Um, Ok!

(Hamburgler drinks Ronald's whole blended meal through a staw)

Hamburgler: (Makes that anoying *nnt*nnt*nnt* sound when people have food in their mouth and try to figure out what it tastes like) Hmmm... tastes like chicken. Chicken shake? No, CHEESEBURGER SHAKE!

ALL (Including Obese Children): EUREEKA!!!

Eugene (One of the Obese Children): Er... can I get fries with that?

Narrator: And from then on, the legend of the Cheeseburger Shake has gone from heart, to healthy heart, to clogged heart, to tapeworm infested heart, to just plain fat heart, and to the heart's of the obese children and on as the best food item McDonald's has ever made (which isn't saying much considering they don't even make their own food).

Hamburgler: Hey!

*END*
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:32 pm

:shock:
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by tammie » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 pm

um honestly i don't understand how to grade presentation at all
Posting Member

by lrxevan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:11 pm

Ebisumaru wrote:um honestly i don't understand how to grade presentation at all

just wing it

it's basically just an impression score: after playing this file, do you feel it was well-adjusted, nice to look at, or otherwise felt professional and complete? if so, it probably gets a good score there. all you have to do is say why, and you're golden
This special title makes me look cool.

by will-i-am » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:26 pm

BLueSS wrote::shock:

Sorry, I was bored. :lol:
Posting Member

Previous